Global Counsel is seeking a Senior Associate to join our Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT) practice. This role provides the opportunity to work across a broad range of technology policy issues and clients with a specific focus on online services and new forms of mobility. The role will focus on UK policy and regulation.
The successful candidate will have at least three years’ relevant experience, either in a UK policymaking context, a business advisory/consultancy or think tank, and/or experience of working in the technology sector. You will need an appetite for developing knowledge, networks, and skills in a fast-paced and collaborative working environment.
The role will be based in the London office, and as such the candidate will need to have the right to work in the UK.
- Research political and regulatory developments affecting technology companies, including political priority issues relating to data and AI, online services (e.g. content regulation, child safety online, digital competition), and new mobility (e.g. ride hailing, e-scooters).
- Identify, map and prioritise key stakeholders across the UK political and regulatory landscape for clients, and provide tactical and strategic advice on engagement.
- Plan and script engagement for businesses to draw on with key stakeholders, including where creative responses to new policy proposals are needed.
- Support the design and delivery of workshops and events for Global Counsel colleagues and for clients.
- Produce original written content, including policy papers, published blogs, progress reports and marketing material, to build your own profile and that of Global Counsel.
- Support business development by researching potential target clients and building a network.
- An in-depth understanding of UK policy and decision-making processes in the UK. Experience of this in the context of tech policy is an added bonus.
- Relevant experience working in government, parliament, a regulator, a tech corporate, think-tank, consultancy or trade association.
- Fluent spoken and written English. Any other languages are an asset.
- A proactive approach to anticipating the future agenda, and a desire to develop additional expertise as needed.
- The ability to identify problems but, more importantly, deliver solutions for clients.
- The appetite to work across a portfolio of client accounts, coordinating both junior and senior team members to ensure the efficient running of accounts and projects.
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively across functions and locations within Global Counsel.
- The ability to provide written analysis and advice for clients seeking to respond to, and engage in, the policy and decision-making process in the UK.
- The presentational skills to explain information confidently and provide strong counsel to clients on future political and policy developments to expert and often senior audiences.